A World Premiere three years in the making.
After an extended pause from the COVID-19 pandemic, THE PEOPLE DOWNSTAIRS by St Pete playwright Natalie Symons, who developed this play at American Stage, finally gets its world premiere.
21st Century Voices: New Play Festival – Mainstage Selection
In Buffalo, NY, aging funeral home custodian Miles lives with his middle-aged daughter Mabel, who spends her days writing letters to prison inmates. When a court-appointed guardian threatens to take away their home, Miles sets out to set Mabel up with Todd, an inept mortician. It is a father’s fierce determination not to accept his daughter’s fate that ignites an endearing human comedy about love, loss, loneliness and the healing power of laughter.
“We are over the moon to be bringing back this tremendous show and giving it the true World Premiere that it deserves,” said Associate Artistic Director Kristin Clippard. “The set of THE PEOPLE DOWNSTAIRS has stood like a ghost in our theater for 16 months and the lights will finally shine on this delightful story. It’s the perfect comedy, centering on an isolated father and daughter, to warm your heart and make you laugh out loud. With other people!”
Run Time: Approximately 2 hours with one intermission
Age Recommendation: 12+.
Due to the rise in positive cases of the COVID-19 virus, the following protocols will be in effect for the health and safety of our artists, staff and patrons.
- All performances will have a reduced capacity audience.
- Masks are required for all attendees, staff and volunteers before, during and after the performance. The performance will be paused if a patron removes their mask and until they replace it.
- Concessions will be available before the show and at intermission, but all food and drinks must remain in the lobby.
- Wednesdays and Thursdays @ 7pm
- Friday & Saturday Evenings @ 8pm
- Saturday and Sun Matinees at 2pm
- Wednesday Preview, September 15, “Pay What You Can” at the door or $20 in advance
- Thursday Preview, September 16, $30
- Wednesday and Thursday Evenings & Saturday and Sunday Matinees, $44
- Friday/Saturday Evenings, $50/54
- Opening Night, September 17, $70*
- * “The People Downstairs” Opening Night will include a pre-show mingle starting at 7 p.m. along with two complimentary drink tickets for each Opening Night ticket buyer.
Chris Crawford (Director)
Scott Cooper (Scenic Designer)
Chris Baldwin (Lighting Designer)
Catherine Cann (Costume Designer)
Rachel Harrison (Stage Manger/ Sound Designer)
Shelby Smotherman (Properties Master)