Script Submissions: 21st Century Voices
The deadline for new play submissions has passed. Check this page in the spring of 2018 to submit for American Stage’s 2019 21st Century Voices New Play Festival.
American Stage is committed to producing powerful and relevant professional live theatre. Our 21st Century Voices is an initiative dedicated to developing and presenting new works for the stage that speak to a contemporary audience in a fresh and compelling way. 21st Century Voices programming includes an annual staged reading festival, workshopping of new scripts, playwriting residencies and fully produced new plays receiving one of their first three professional productions at American Stage.
Submissions of new plays that promote the exploration of socially-conscious themes relevant to our world today will be considered through June 30, 2017.
Submission guidelines for American Stage’s 2018 21st Century Voices New Play Festival are as follows:
- Plays must be full-length in any genre: comedy, drama, musical, etc.
- Translations, collections of one-acts, children’s plays and any play that has received a full-scale, professional production prior to submission are not eligible.
- Plays that have had a workshop, reading or non-professional production are still eligible.
- Only one submission per playwright is allowed each year.
The Selection Process
American Stage’s competitive selection process consists of two rounds of selection. All play excerpts submitted during the first round are reviewed by a committee of theatre artists and patrons. Then, selected playwrights are asked to provide a full manuscript of their play. Finally, American Stage invites four to five playwrights to have their work included in 21st Century Voices New Works Festival in January 2018.
How to Apply
Email your complete submission package to 21stCenturyVoices@americanstage.org between April 1-June 30, 2017.
Complete submission packages must include:
- Your contact information;
- Your playwriting resume;
- A concise paragraph describing the development history of the play you are submitting;
- A paragraph describing why your play is a good fit for American Stage’s 21st Century Voices’ mission to develop and present powerful plays that speak to a contemporary audience in a fresh and compelling way;
- Title of the play;
- Character breakdown and description;
- Time and place of the play;
- Synopsis; and
- A ten page sample of the play.
For consideration in our January 2018 21st Century Voices Staged Reading Festival, American Stage is accepting submissions from April 1 – June 30, 2017. Requests for full manuscripts will be made by August, 2017.
Only completed submission packages emailed to 21stCenturyVoices@americanstage.org by June 30, 2017 will be considered.
Thank you for your interest!
Playwrights Welcome is a new program developed for Dramatists Guild of America Members by Samuel French along with Dramatists Play Service, Dramatic Publishing, Music Theatre International, Playscripts and Rodgers and Hammerstein. The goal is simple: to provide free access to theatre for playwrights, composers and lyricists. We are invested in the success and artistic health of our industry’s writers, and by extension the vibrancy of the American theatre. We’re also aware that attending theatre is an integral part to how writers learn their craft and grow as artists.
We are proud to take part in Playwrights Welcome, which offers available tickets to professional playwrights on the day of a performance, free of charge. To receive a ticket through Playwrights Welcome at American Stage, call or come to the box office on the day of the show. You must present your current valid DGA membership card to pick up your ticket, one ticket per member.
For more information on this national program, and to learn which theaters around the country are involved, please visit samuelfrench.com/playwrightswelcome.