Volunteer at American Stage
Volunteers are an essential and invaluable part of the American Stage family—we simply couldn’t succeed without them. We welcome anyone interested in dedicating their time and talents to support Tampa Bay’s longest-running, professional live theatre to consider becoming an American Stage volunteer.
- Ushers help during our performances by taking tickets, providing programs, assisting the box office with will-call tickets and assisting patrons to their seats. They are the largest representative group for American Stage and should expect to provide excellent customer service to every patron who comes through our doors. Opportunities are available consistently throughout the year mostly in the evening on weeknights and weekends, and occasionally during the day on weekends. Time commitment varies depending on the length of the performance, and can be anywhere from 1.5 hours to 3. Ushers have the unique privilege to see the performance they are helping with.
- Concessions volunteers also help during performances by operating our concessions stand, which includes handling cash and alcohol. Previous experience in customer service, cash sales, hospitality, and food/beverage is strongly preferred but we are willing to train. Opportunities are available consistently throughout the year mostly in the evening on weeknights and weekends, and occasionally during the day on weekends. Time commitment varies depending on the length of the performance, and can be anywhere from 1.5 hours to 3. Concessions volunteers have the unique opportunity to see the performance they are helping with, and are entitled to one free beverage of their choosing after their shift has been completed.
- Mailing volunteers are a very special task force who ensure American Stage letters and postcards reach our patrons in a timely fashion. Mailings are announced throughout the year and are typically held in the morning of the scheduled weekday. Some mailings only include postcards to be labeled, while others might involve folding documents and stuffing/sealing envelopes. Mailing volunteers are treated to plenty of coffee and donuts to last through the day.
- Administrative volunteers assist with a variety of tasks from filing and database management and/or entry, to editing documents and calling patrons. These tasks are needed year-round and gladly worked around your schedule.
- Outreach volunteers help to spread the word about American Stage and our offerings to the public. Outreach events take place throughout the year and can be held at American Stage (like site rentals and special events) or in our community (like booths at Shopapalooza, IndieMarket, and St. Pete Pride).
- American Stage in the Park is an almost thirty-year community event that takes place every spring where we produce a musical outside at Demens Landing Park in downtown St. Petersburg. Volunteers for this huge event are needed in a variety of areas including ushering, food/beverage, bar, and merchandise. Our next American Stage in the Park offering is SPAMALOT, a hilarious musical based off of Monty Python and the Holy Grail, which will run from April 13 through May 8th every Wednesday through Sunday nights at 8pm. Park volunteers are able to enjoy the performance for free.
- Production volunteers can assist the Production Staff of our Mainstage shows in numerous ways from properties and carpentry, to lighting and costumes. Experience in your area of interest is preferred.
American Stage volunteers are eligible to receive complimentary tickets to a production of their choice (space permitting); ushers may attend the production they are ushering once the theatre doors are closed (space permitting). Volunteers may also receive invitations to select theatre events and receptions.
For more information please contact the Volunteer Coordinator, Colleen Cherry, at:
To ensure delivery of emails please add firstname.lastname@example.org to your contacts. If you don’t hear back from us within a week of submitting an inquiry please check your “Junk” folder.